Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

bored with chicken


My friend Lionel said he is bored with chicken. Bored with a capital B. "I don't know," he said, "but somehow chicken always slips one meal or the other everyday." We both love fish and seafood and lamented on how paramount chicken seems to be in the Asian culture. A pity since fish and seafood are not just abundant but are very fresh too.
"Mango, I had the white pepper crab from no signboard seafood last night. I thought of you. I had the BIGGGG claw just for you." After chatting about the crab experience for 15 minutes, he killed me with this, "...and got to sop up the sauce wif that fried bread thingy."

He then listed the places we're going to in Singapore in October when I am back in Asia for a month. I am looking forward to eating with him because he really knows how to eat and he is the kind of person you really have fun hanging out with.

"When I am coming to see you, you have to cook everyday though,"he said. "And I want to eat that roast chicken of yours. The not boring one - the honey spicy thingy."

It was kinda funny that he should mention roast chicken because I always make roast chicken when I have friends for dinner especially when I have real, old, comfortable like slippers friends. The kind I cook with and just throw everything and anything on the table.

How I marinate the chicken depends on what I plan to serve it with. With rice, it tends to be spicier or with soy sauce and oyster sauce. With potatoes, it is usually with butter, herbs and garlic.

This is the one I like to serve with rice and cous cous, for very old friends, the kind I do allow in the kitchen even when they dare to tell me they are bored with chicken ;-)




Honey Lemon Spicy Roast Chicken


Ingredients
1 roasting chicken - I tend to use 2 smaller ones of 1kg each but you can use the one between 2.2 - 2.5kg
Wash the chicken thoroughly and rub in salt and lemon juice inside out.
1 lemon

marinade
garlic
black pepper
ginger
juice and zest of one lemon
salt
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp chili powder
honey
olive oil

Pound garlic, black peppercorns, ginger and salt. Add turmeric, paprika, chili powder into the garlic paste and mix. Add in the lemon juice and zest. Whisk in honey and olive oil until you get a fragrant, golden, thick paste. Season with salt.


Spice rub
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP coriander
1 tsp fennel
toast the spices and mash lightly with your pestle - do not turn it into powder and set aside.


Method
1. Marinate the chicken thoroughly. Keep the chicken in marinade for about 2 hours in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C or get the grill/BBQ ready.
3. Take the chicken out of the fridge, place in the roasting tin and place the lemon inside the cavity.
4. Rub the spice rub on the skin of the chicken.
5. Roast or grill until it's cooked.
6. Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home