Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

grilled beef salad


shhh... let me tell you something I am very skittish about... I am on a diet. There it is out there, in the world for everyone to see. Giving birth at 40 has its rewards and amongst it is a little something something around your waist which just refuse to budge.
In any other year, I would just enjoy it and take my time getting rid of it. But not this year. In October, my baby brother is getting married and I have to look good in a kebaya and I now have only 2 months to get rid of the spare tyre.
Yesterday, my physiotherapist told me I have a natural corset which he said he can spank back into shape in 2 months - IF I do my part of course. The powerhouse abs he promised me will get rid of all these aching pains I have been having on my back and shoulders. And he gave me the good news - my pelvis is no longer misbehaving! Wooo hooo.
But I have been feeling very sluggish anyway and as always when I feel like this, I try to change something on the inside. So I have been poring over nutrition books and devise a little diet plan I think I can stick to. I am not very good at not eating carbs or not having a treat or dessert for a very long time. But at the same time, judging from the list of good vs bad food from the books, I think we have already have a very healthy diet at home. So, I am not going to cut anything down drastically but I will change a few things. And I am definitely not going to start compromising on flavour.
That's where the salad beef comes in. It is made with leftover grilled beef we had a few days ago. The beef was marinated in teriyaki sauce and grilled to medium. It is then leave to rest and cut into strips.
The bed of salad leaves provides the bulk of this salad. You can use any leaves you like for this. It is the thing that I use to make me feel full and I can have as much as I want. For crunch and sweetness, I add freshly plucked cherry tomatoes and paprika from our back garden. The whole salad is pulled together with a simple Japanese vinaigrette and sprinkled with toasted black sesame seeds.


Beef salad recipe
Grilled beef
your favourite cut of beef
dark soy sauce
light soy sauce
2cm ginger - mashed
3 garlic - mashed
mirin
1 tsp brown sugar
freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp oil + a sprinkle of sesame oil

Combine all the ingredients together and give it a good whisk. Marinate the beef for 30 minutes. Grill to your liking.


Salad dressing
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp light soy sauce
honey
black pepper
a squeeze of lemon
wasabi
1 teaspoon of sesame oil

Combine all the ingredients together, taste adding until you get the right combination of taste. Pour over beef and salad. Sprinkle toasted black sesame seeds over the beef and salad leaves.




0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home