Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bubur Jagung


Every time I make this, Nabila would say she smells Malaysia. It is I believe the sweet scents of coconut milk, corn and pandanus leaves, left to simmer with salt and sugar on the stove for a couple of hours.

We would devour it immediately. And later, another bowl each at room temperature. I make this every week IF fresh corn is available at the market. It is my favourite bubur and Nabila's too.

Bubur is a funny word in Malay. Literally it means porridge but it can be sweet or savoury. The most ubiquitous savoury bubur would be rice porridge (congee) - some (including me) will even have them for breakfast. The most craved sweet bubur would probably be bubur kacang - made of mung beans, pandanus leaves, palm sugar and coconut milk. It is so beloved, it was even featured in one of P. Ramlee's movies.

Although I love bubur nasi (congee), I am not into bubur pulut hitam - which is made with black glutinous rice. My mom usually served bubur for tea, especially for my dad and youngest brother who absolutely love bubur kacang. and of course, it is one of the best way to break your Ramadhan fast with.

Any leftovers of the bubur will usually be frozen in lolly moulds - to be devoured later as another one of Malaysian classic sweets, ais kerim jagung (sweet corn ice cream/lollies)


Recipe
Ingredients:
corn kernel from 20 fresh sweet corn
3 - 5 fresh pandanus leaves - knotted together
1 Lt coconut milk - I used Chao Koh
1 cup sugar or 2 disc of palm sugar
salt to taste


Method
Combine all ingredients and leave to simmer gently for 1- 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Be careful NOT to let the coconut milk boil too much - it will totally ruin the bubur.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home