Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chicken Kway Teow Soup



All the Carnavaling (Mardi Gras) left all of us exhausted and nursing sore throats. The party started last Friday and didn't end until Wednesday morning. there were pub crawls, parties at various princes' venues - this is the heart of Carnaval country in NL - and parades.

I usually have a pot of soup as standby at home since the only eating outlets open are usually the snack bars, pubs, doner stands/cafetjes and the fast food outlets. alcohol were consumed in copious amount and noone really celebrated pancake tuesday.

So you would understand my need to cleanse up the system on Wednesday. Something devoid of too many flavours. I wanted something warm and comforting and easy to assemble and eat. Something without oil or alcohol and yet still picking me up and telling me I will be OK and that zingy sounds in my ears will be gone in less than 24 hours.

I started with the chicken soup, which I already have. Instead of a whole chicken, it is made with 4 chicken whole thighs, some ginger, 2 stems of lemon grass and some anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and black pepper. They are left to boil together happily at least one to one and a half hours. By that time, the chicken will fall off the bone and is so soft and velvety, it melts in the mouth. It is easy to just use 2 forks to shred the chicken meat and left on a hot plate.

I used rice sticks instead of the usual noodles. In the same pot used to boil the noodle, blanch the bakchoys and abalone mushrooms for less than 2 minutes and later plunge them immediately in cold water. They join the chicken in the hotplate. To that I added some coriander, julienned green peppers and toss them together like salad. I added a spash of toasted sesame oil, light soy sauce and lemon juice. Leave them to rest while the noodle is cooked.

Then the noodle is ready, I tossed it together with the chicken and veggies and they go on my bowl and then the piping hot soup is ladled over.

A mixture of sesame seeds, sea salt and white pepper is sprinkled over the noodle soup and it is ready to eat.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home