baked lemon thyme chicken wings
I marinated some chicken wings for a barbecue last week. Then it started to rain and the plan to eat al fresco go out the window. So I thought I'll just bake them in the oven and make a little coating with panko (Japanese bread crumbs), lemon and Parmesan. The results was sensational and oh so quick too... Funny that the sun came out just as the chicken wings were ready and I used the streaming sunlight in the kitchen to snap a few photos ;-)
Baked Lemon Thyme Chicken Wings
1 kg chicken wings - I cut them into two
For the marinade:
1 lemon - juiced and zested
3 garlic - crushed
a handful of thyme
For the crust:
a cup of breadcrumbs - I used panko
half cup Parmesan - grated
zest of a lemon
some parsley and thyme - chopped finely
salt and pepper
1. Combine and whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Taste and season accordingly.
2. Marinate the chicken and leave in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C.
4. Combine all ingredients for the crust and season with salt and black pepper.
5. Coat the chicken piece by piece in the panko mix.
6. Arrange the wing pieces so they will fit in one layer.
7. Pour and spread the rest of the panko mix on the chicken.
8. Bake until done.
It is also delicious without the Parmesan crust if you just grilled it on the BBQ after resting in the marinade for at least half an hour. I love eating this with Hoegaarden Wit beer, blue cheese dip and sweet chili + ginger dip